Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Constancy in training is every thing.

It is said that are habits create who we are. I can't stress enough the power of being consistent. Half ass training = half ass results.

If you want to be faster constancy is every thing skipping 1 or 2 works a month might not make a huge difference but 1 or 2 a week will.

Not pushing all the way through work outs ads up too. Lets say you cut all your work outs in one week by 5 minutes and you have 10 total work outs during the week that is 50 minutes. Over a month that is 200 minutes. 5 minutes here in there can add up to a whole other work out real fast. Every thing counts no matter how small you may think it is.

I can tell you that the top reason I have seen people improve the most is due to being constant and getting workouts done no matter what.

One thing I see often is athletes saying, "I'm in my off season" and then do nothing at all for 2 or 3 months. In my opinion this is not a good call. No doubt an "off season" is important but I think many miss interpret what this truly means. I was talking to one of the guys I swim with at master swimming who has been to the Olympics, world championships and has been inducted into the world swimming hall of fame. He told me he can't remember the last time he took off more than 3 days in the past 15 years.

Still do activity in the "off season" . You can do other types of cardio such as roller blading or hiking. Ideally I still have my athletes do at least one swim, bike and run keeping it light and short in order to keep the feel. I find this to especially true for swimming as loosing the feel for the water happens fast and sucks to get back.

Off season is a great time to work technique in all three sports and thus gain some great benefit down the road. Technique work outs don't have to be intense or hours long either.

Taking months at a time totally off is a big hole to dig out of. The best athletes I know are consistent year round. Do you think Tiger Woods takes 2 or 3 months off?

Are habits create who we are. Constant action in line with are goals thus get us closer to what we desire. That all I got for today. Happy training, Much Peace & Love

No comments: